Assistant Professor - History
University of Massachusetts Lowell
The Department of History at University of Massachusetts Lowell seeks to fill a tenure track position in Ancient History at the rank of Assistant Professor. Applications are welcome in all areas of History prior to 500 C.E., particularly those that place an emphasis upon cultural exchange, the intersection of ancient societies, and the Mediterranean world. Expertise in environmental history, women’s history, and global history would complement existing focus areas of the Department. Candidates should have a clearly articulated program of research. The selected candidate will be expected to teach survey courses as well as upper-level courses in their area(s) of specialization. Applicants should demonstrate evidence of excellent undergraduate teaching. Ph.D. in hand is required at the time of appointment. Under-represented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. UMass Lowell is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty.
Responsibilities include maintaining a productive level of research activity and carrying a teaching load consistent with that level of research. While the standard teaching load is three courses per semester based on our workload policy, research-productive faculty may qualify for a two-course per semester load. Service to the department and its students (e.g., academic advising, committee work) is expected. Salary is competitive, within the assistant professor range, concomitant with experience. More information about our department can be found at:https://www.uml.edu/FAHSS/History/default.aspx
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
• Ph.D. in relevant field at time of appointment (must have Ph.D. at the time of appointment, Sept. 2020)
• Experience teaching at the undergraduate level
• The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
• Ability to teach Ancient History and related areas
Special Instructions to Applicants:
• Applications received by December 2, 2019 will receive full consideration. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
• Interviews with selected candidates will be conducted via video-conference in early-to-mid-January 2020.
• Please submit a CV, cover letter, teaching statement/philosophy and research statement with your application.
• Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process
• **Three letters of reference, a writing sample, and a sample syllabus will be required from candidates selected for an interview. (Email addresses of three referees will be required during the on-line application process).
To apply, please visit:https://explorejobs.uml.edu/lowell/en-us/job/503137/assistant-professor-history
About UMass Lowell:
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage you to apply and to identify your strengths in this area.