Duties And Responsibilities
Director (.50 FTE)
The Director serves at the pleasure of the University of Kansas Vice Chancellor for Research, and reports to and is evaluated by an Associate Vice Chancellor for Research. Five-year terms are renewable.
Day-to-day administrative, grant development, and fiduciary operations of the Hall Center are carried out by the permanent staff, but the ultimate responsibility for defining and accomplishing the mission of the Center rests with the Director. The Director must be willing to commit to making the Hall Center Directorship the professional priority over other career concerns for the period of the contract.
1. The Director’s primary duty is to set and direct the vision, mission, and goals of the Hall Center for the Humanities by fostering cooperative research activity among University faculty in the humanities, social sciences, and arts and by supporting the intellectual growth and development of all KU scholars in these fields, including non-tenure-track faculty and graduate students.
2. The Director works closely with the Executive Committee and community partners, including the Kansas Humanities Council, to develop programming that engages members of the university and of the wider community by promoting KU scholarship, bringing significant scholars, creative artists, and thinkers to campus, and aiding KU researchers in bringing their work to a more general audience. Along with the Center’s public outreach staff and partners on and off campus, the Director develops programs to expand public support for and engagement with the Center.
3. The Director’s administrative role includes serving as 1) chief administrative officer of the Hall Center for the Humanities, providing leadership to the Center’s staff and reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research; 2) liaison between the humanities faculty and the Office of Research; 3) liaison between the Hall Center and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Provost’s Office, and the Chancellor’s Office; 4) liaison between the Hall Center and the University of Kansas Endowment Association, and 5) liaison between the Hall Center and its external Advisory Board, internal Executive Committee, and Friends of the Hall Center Council.
4. The Director manages the Center’s partnership with The Commons and the Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities, along with other research centers and programs at KU. The Director works with local, state, and national public humanities programs and foundations, and plays an active role in the international Consortium of Humanities Centers and Institutes (CHCI).
5. The Director works with the KU Endowment Association, the Center’s external Advisory Board, KU upper administration, and the Center’s Humanities Grant Development Office to build the financial resources of the Center.
Distinguished Professor Faculty Duties (.50 FTE)
The Director also holds a .50 FTE faculty position in the appropriate humanities department. Faculty duties will correspond with those of a distinguished professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
1. Research (20%)
2. Teaching and Advising (15%)
3. Service (15%)