Professor/ Associate Professor (Strategic Communication)
» Recruiter : University of Johannesburg
» BEE : Applicable
» Contract : Permanent
» Location : Johannesburg Metropolitan
» Available : As soon as possible
» Category : Academic
» Offer : Market Related
The university of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university anchored in Africa and intent on global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development, and global partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
- A Doctoral degree in communication, Strategic Communication or related disciplines with an understanding of the different paradignmatic debates within the theory and practice of Communication.
- Evidence of being a recognised leader in the discipline with an advanced grounding in related disciplines, including corporate communication, marketing communication, and public relations.
- Evidence of a recognised network of collaborations with academics nationally, on the African continent and internationally.
- Experience in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaborations.
- Evidence of successful postgraduate supervision at Honour’s, PhD and Master’s level.
- Relevant management and leadership experience in an academic or research environment.
- A proven record of teaching excellence.
- A proven record of publications in DHET accredited journals and peer reviewed conference proceedings.
- A proven record of academic citizenship and/or relevant industry experience.
- National Research Foundation (NRF) Rating
- Expertise in blended learning and online learning pedagogies
- A proven record of sourcing research funding and/or thierd stream income
- knowledge and/or experience of digital communication contexts, Web 4.0 and/or content development.
- Industry experience, recognition, and awards.
- Involvement in professional bodies.
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Collaborative team orientation.
- values diversity.
- Exhibits integrity.
- Articulate communicator.
- Cognitive flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Efficient time management.
- Relevant technological skills.
- Can balance work and personal needs.
- Works within the confines of outcomes-based management.
- Understands ethical underpinnings of the role and acts accordingly.
Enquiries regarding job content: Dr. Maritha Pritchard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Lungisa Zihlangu (011) 559-2956 (HR Business Partner)
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT http://jobs.uj.ac.za
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider UJ on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
The Department of Strategic Communication established in 2010, is one of three Departments in the School of Communication. As one of the largest departments in the Faculty of Humanities, we offer a wide range of qualifications on the Bunting Road, Doornfontein and Auckland Park Kingsway Campuses. These include undergraduate bridging programmes such as the Extended Diploma in Public Relations, the Diploma in Communication Management and Public Relations, and BA degree majoring in Strategic Communication (introduced in 2020). We further offer post-graduate qualifications at Honours, Masters, and Doctorate level.
The department seeks to appoint a professor in Strategic Communication. The professor will play a leading role in a Collegial environment in which we are passionate about our students, our discipline, and our research.
- Leadership in quality, purposeful research responsive to the needs of society, as well as research outputs through research, supervision and publication.
- Leadership in curriculum development considering the unique challenges of the rapidly-evolving discipline of strategic communication.
- Leadership in advancing best practices in teaching and learning and research, particularly within the context of the 4IR and decolonisation, using blended learning platforms.
- Provide leadership in nurturing a teaching and authentic learning culture of co-creation and collaboration, and welcoming interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary points of view.
- Teach, supervise, and promote a culture of innovative learning at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Enhance the public profile of the department through visible academic citizenship and industry liason, nationally, internationally, including the African continent.
- Expand on and strengthen the department’s community, industry, and academic collaborations locally and internationally, including the African continent.
- Enhance funding opportunities for the department.
- provide mentorship to develop skill and academic citizenship in the department.