About the institution
The University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute (JI) was founded in 2006 as a strategic partnership between the University of Michigan (UM) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Both sides are committed to developing the JI into a world- class institution for engineering education. In 2014, the JI received the prestigious Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education from the Institute of International Education. The Chinese government also recognizes the JI as a model of Sino-American collaboration. In 2021, the JI received funding from the Ministry of Education to create the Global Institute of Future Technologies, for cutting edge research into precision healthcare and sustainable development.
The JI currently offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE), and Material Science & Engineering (MSE), all in keeping with UM curriculum objectives. The ME and ECE programs are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). All instruction is in English.
About the position
The JI seeks a full-time, non-tenure track Lecturer/Assistant/Associate/Full Teaching Professor in Technical Communication (TC). The TC curriculum aims to strengthen the students’ ability to articulate engineering designs and research results, both orally and in writing. Topics include but are not limited to technical reports, articles, proposals, posters, oral presentations, and professional correspondence. In the age of Web 2.0, emerging topics include managing digital content and writing for social media. The TC program also seeks to expand its curriculum with elective courses based on the applicant’s own expertise (such as professional development, business, or entrepreneurship). The applicant will thus have the opportunity to make significant contributions to the TC program as it evolves to meet the growing needs of the JI. Rank will be commensurate with degree and experience.
- Teach six courses per year on a three-semester schedule (two courses per semester, 3- 4 credit hours per course)
- Supervise teaching assistants who help with grading and course management
- Maintain office hours
- Participate in course reviews, curriculum development, and other activities which support their teaching work
- Participate in non-teaching service such as faculty committees and faculty searches
- Terminal master’s degree in a related discipline, D. preferred
- Experience teaching technical, scientific, academic, business, or other communication skills, in academic or professional settings
- Experience working in engineering, business, or entrepreneurship a plus
- Experience working with non-native English speakers a plus
- Competitive starting salary, based on education and experience
- Health insurance
- Supplemental housing subsidy
- Moving allowance
- Chinese language courses and other supports available to faculty of the university
To apply for this position, please send the following materials as a single PDF document to the TC search committee chair, Dr. Nathaniel Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org), with CC to the JI’s HR department (email@example.com). Informal inquires may also be directed to Dr. Murray.
- Cover letter (2 pages) detailing your specific interest in the JI; your experience teaching technical, scientific, academic, business, or other communication skills; and proposed topics you would like to teach as an elective based on your expertise
- Teaching statement (1-2 pages) detailing your teaching philosophy and your experience working in collaboration with other colleagues
- Scanned diploma of highest degree obtained
- Contact information for three academic or professional references
- Previous student evaluations of your teaching (if available)
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview and teaching demo. Thank you for your interest in the JI!