PROFESSOR of Writing or Communications and CHAIR, Department of Sciences and Liberal Arts at RIT DUBAI
Rochester Institute of Technology-Dubai is seeking applications for appointment as Chair of the Department of Sciences and Liberal Arts and Assistant or Associate Professor in Writing or Communications.
Teaching responsibilities will include primarily UWRT 100 (Critical Reading and Writing), UWRT 150 (Writing Seminar, with an emphasis on research genres and research writing), and GRCS 703 (Graduate Writing Strategies), and may include COMM 253 (Communication, a required course for Business students). UWRT course descriptions can be found on p. 207 of the RIT undergraduate catalogue.
Professorial-track faculty are currently assigned 12 credit hours per semester (Fall and Spring) on a three-year renewable contract. Only candidates holding the PhD in Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or Communications and who speak and write English with native fluency will be considered. A reasonable record of scholarly activity commensurate with career history is also required. Teaching experience at an overseas English-language institution and/or a TESOL certification (or similar) and experience with second-language learners at the post-secondary level will be viewed very favorably.
We are especially interested in candidates with academic leadership experience in the form of program coordination or chairing. The successful applicant may chair the Department of Liberal Arts and Sciences for a term of two years (renewable) by assignment from the VPAA, with particular oversight for the department’s mission to provide general education, including core and program-specific courses in support of the institution’s major programs, the university’s "perspectives" requirement, and disciplinary immersions (3-course suites) and minors (5-course suites).
This candidate should also be development-oriented (philosophically and practically given to supporting faculty improvement and professional growth), innovative, and strategic.
Department chairs at RIT-Dubai
- coordinate the representation of and activities initiated by the department;
- review and establish course schedules in coordination with Academic Advising and the VPAA;
- lead curriculum and program development efforts;
- lead associated accreditation and licensure activities;
- work with other university offices, e.g. admissions and marketing, in promoting the department and its programs;
- where applicable, lead recruitment of graduate students;
- promote an environment conducive to learning, innovation, and excellence;
- perform annual faculty evaluation per established university standards and in coordination with the VPAA;
- ensure that all university and department processes and procedures are implemented within the department; and
- in close coordination with the VPAA, work with and organize faculty in establishing and achieving these responsibilities and other departmental goals and tasks as they develop.The chair serves on the Academic Council, reporting directly to the VPAA, and teaches on a reduced schedule of 9 credit hours/semester.
Dubai is a branch campus of the Rochester Institute of Technology-NY in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It was established in June 2008 to offer RIT
degrees and curriculum in Dubai. Currently it offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in engineering, business, networking and innovation and leadership. Its students come from around the world.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, but includes a housing stipend, medical and dental coverage, and other benefits.
Please email your application to email@example.com. Please submit the following items as part of your application:
- subject line must identify the platform where you saw this job ad, your name, and the position you are applying for (eg. "AcademicKeys – Dr. Alison Smith – Chair and Professor, SLA");
- resume or curriculum vitae;
- contact information;
- a cover letter to the attention of Dr. Jonathon Penny, Department Chair, that details your relevant technical, professional, and experiential qualifications and achievements, and explains how these address the required and preferred qualifications for the position; and
- contact information for three references who can, in the aggregate, speak to your scholarly, teaching, and leadership experience and potential.
Deadline for applications is July 31, 2019, but review of applications will begin immediately. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, with initial interviews planned for early August via the Bluejeans online communication platform, and follow-up interviews will be scheduled for mid-late August. The anticipated start date for this position is January 5, 2020.
For more information about the university, please visit RIT Dubai website at www.rit.edu/dubai