Lecturer/Asst. Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in Communications and Media (Theory and Production) (Rank based on qualifications and experience)
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Reports to: Dean of School of Arts and Sciences
Deadline: January 15th, 2020 (open until filled)
Commencement Date: August 1st, 2020 (or earlier)
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia seeks to fill several full-time positions in the Communications and Media programme with an emphasis on Media production at UCA’s campus in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic. In your role as a faculty member, you will be contributing to the development and implementation of a new Communications and Media curriculum at the Bachelor Level that has been designed in partnership with the University of Technology Sydney in Australia.
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies in English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material. You will help students appreciate and develop an interdisciplinary approach to the fields of computer science, information technology, and entrepreneurship.
Lastly, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to continue their research and develop new research for UCA in Central Asia, actively creating pathways to engage students in the research programme. Applicants should thus be research active and have a commitment to establishing foundational knowledge for students new to the field.
UCA’s Communications and Media programme offers a unique integrated approach that includes communications theory, media studies, journalism, and applied media with a storytelling approach. The programme mirrors current trends in the study and practice of media communications. Students will be equipped with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills desired by media industries, including journalism, public relations, multi-media design, media production. They will acquire skills in writing and critical thinking, as well as knowledge in media law and ethics and the political, economic, cultural and social character of Central Asian societies.
- Lecturer: Master’s in Communications and Media or Central Asia Studies. For media production focused courses, a Master’s degree or equivalent industry-based experience would be considered.
- Assistant Professor and Above: Ph.D. in Communications and Media or Central Asia Studies
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students. At least 2 years of experience teaching at the undergraduate level would be expected.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies
- Technical skills related to media production (TV/Radio/Digital/Print) would be a requirement for the media production faculty positions.
- A proven ability to publish research in high-quality journals
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset
- Aware of current and future industry trends; a strong network of industry contacts to support internship programs, project collaborations and industrial mentoring.
- Demonstrated interest in developing critical ways to conceptualize and research empirically the relationships between media and communications technologies and the social world with particular reference to development and social change communication challenges faced by individuals and organizations in the region.
Rank will be based on the candidate’s prior experience and record.
The job description is subject to change.
Salary and Package
Commensurate with qualifications and experience to attract the best candidate.
Candidates from the founding countries of UCA i.e. Tajikistan, Kyrgyz Republic, and Kazakhstan are encouraged to apply for the position.
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please visit the AKDN Career Centre (URL: https://krb-xjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageTyp…anuary 2020. At the application stage, you should submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- List of at least three references who may attest to your teaching/research experience
- Sample of written academic work with a research statement (for those applying to Assistant Professor or above)
- List of published work and link to the google scholar profile
- Teaching evaluations (if applicable
- Research and/or teaching statements (if available)
For more information about UCA please visit https://www.ucentralasia.org
Review other job vacancies at http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies