- Opportunity for a leadership role in the School of Language and Culture’s Department of Hebrew, Biblical and Jewish Studies
- Located at Camperdown Campus
- Full time fixed term 5 years, offering Academic Level C, a base salary of $135K p.a., and generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
Over the last decade the faculty has developed a strong program of Jewish Civilisation, Holocaust and Israel Studies and Contemporary Jewry, including studies relating to Israel, looking at its historical past, contemporary domestic policies and external conflicts, at undergraduate, including Honours, masters and doctoral levels, as part of its strong program in Jewish Studies. This is your opportunity to develop your skills and expertise alongside internationally renowned scholars in a supportive team environment. In this lectureship role, you will:
- teach and supervise at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and help coordinate and promote the Israel, Jewish Civilisation, and Holocaust Studies programs in an interdisciplinary environment, working closely with the Department of History, and developing links with other Faculty departments
- undertake research and publication in your area of specialization and secure grant funding
- take part in administrative activities in the Department and serve on School and Faculty committees
- contribute to professional and community collaborations in the field.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Senior Lecturer who possesses:
- a PhD in Jewish Studies with a preference for Modern Jewish Studies including Holocaust or Israel Studies
- a proven ability to teach in Jewish Civilisation, Thought and Culture across the broad spectrum of Jewish, Holocaust and Israel Studies
- knowledge of Modern Hebrew
- evidence of being an innovative and creative thinker who can strengthen and expand the program, as well as being able to contribute to the broader Jewish Civilisation program
- evidence of being self-driven and experienced, as well as working well in teams
- research potential that is demonstrated by publications and/or grants.
Highly desirable for appointment is your:
- knowledge of at least one European language
- evidence of community involvement including professional Jewish Studies societies
To be considered for this role, please address the below in your Cover Letter and upload.
- Demonstrate your ability to teach in Jewish Civilisation, Thought and Culture, across the broad spectrum of Jewish, Holocaust and Israel Studies
- Give a precis of your research goals in your areas of research expertise
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Rae Hao, Recruitment Consultant Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on 8627 0063 or by email email@example.com
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website: https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Westmead-C… to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 6 September 2021
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.