Part-Time/Adjunct - English Instructor
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a part-time/adjunct English Instructor at the Evergreen Valley College.
English 1B class (an accelerated) TTh 3:15pm - 6:20pm, beginning October 28, 2019 and ending December 19, 2019.
The instructor's assignment will include the following:
1. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
2. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
3. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
4. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
5. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
6. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
7. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
8. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
9. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
10. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum Qualifications for ENGLISH:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's in English, literature, comparative literature, or composition
Bachelor's in in any of the above AND Master's in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing or journalism
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose-Evergreen Community
College District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below and select discipline English:
Direct Link: http://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1749
Position #F19014, Open and Continuous
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San Jose-Evergreen Community College District.