The Department of Anthropology in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Kentucky in Lexington KY invites applications for a tenure-track assistant or associate professor in the historical archaeology of the African diaspora, to begin in August 2019. Applications at the associate rank will be considered in exceptional cases. We seek candidates with research foci linked to race and racialization processes and especially as related to slavery and its material consequences. Applicants also should have research and teaching emphases on public anthropology that engages with contemporary communities, teaches students public archaeology and its methods, and makes connections with material culture studies and historic preservation. Geographic area of expertise is North America.
The successful candidate will be encouraged to leverage the resources of the William S. Webb Museum of Anthropology, to focus a portion of their future research and/or outreach efforts on the greater Kentucky/Ohio Valley area, and to engage with faculty and initiatives in other programs such as African American and Africana Studies, History, Sociology, Geography, Historic Preservation, and the Center for Equity and Social Justice.
Interested candidates should submit:
- A cover letter describing research and teaching interests
- A CV
- Up to three sample publications (upload under Writing Sample)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (upload under Specific Request 1)
- A one or two page diversity statement, in which applicants should reflect on their commitments, approaches, and insights related to inclusion, diversity, and equity (upload under Specific Request 2)
- A list of three references with contact information. This information may be used to solicit reference letters from your reference contacts within the employment system.
Applications received by January 7th, 2019 will receive full review, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information, contact Search Committee Chair Dr. Scott Hutson, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our website: https://anthropology.as.uky.edu