The University of Sharjah, considered a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East, offers a number of academic programs in a vast array of specializations, including the arts, humanities and social sciences, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business management, communication, law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design. Endowed with a beautiful campus and world-class facilities, it attaches the highest importance to providing top education and a distinct university experience to its students.
As a part of the University’s vision, it offers comprehensive academic and research programs at the diploma, bachelor, master, and PhD levels, which attract distinguished students from across the UAE, the Arab Gulf countries, and a number of other countries.
A perennial desert environment surrounds the University of Sharjah, located in Sharjah University City. Students, faculty and administrative staff engage in a wide range of year-round recreational, cultural and social activities both in the Emirate of Sharjah and throughout the Emirates since the University is located close to major cities and the beautiful coastlines of Sharjah, Dubai and Ajman.
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences was established in 1997 as part of the College of Arts and Sciences. Currently, approximately 1,000 students are enrolled in the departments of Arabic Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, History and Islamic Civilization, Sociology, Education, and International Relations. The College offers four master degree programs in Arabic Language and Literature, History and Islamic Civilization, Applied Sociology, and Translation and offers three PhD programs in Arabic Language and Literature, History and Islamic Civilization, and Applied Sociology. It also offers a postgraduate professional diploma in teaching. The English Language Center (ELC), which falls under the College, offers a variety of English programs to approximately 1,200 students from various UOS colleges. It also offers English language programs to students enrolled in the Community College and Center for Continuing Education as well as to Community Service Course participants. The College is committed to providing excellence in education through its highly qualified faculty members, possessing considerable background and experience.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of the Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences to lead the College to a higher level in teaching and research. The new dean is expected to join the College at the beginning of the academic year 2016/2017.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply early by submitting their applications as soon as possible.
For more information about the College, its departments, and the conditions for applying, please visit the University’s website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
Colleges at the University of Sharjah:
The University of Sharjah is an autonomous institution of higher education with an enrollment of 13,500 students and a full-time teaching staff of approximately 600 faculty members. The University includes the following Colleges: Sharia and Islamic Studies, Sciences, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Health Sciences, Communication, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Fine Arts and Design, and the Community College, in addition to the Scientific Research Council, which includes three research institutes and the College of Graduate Studies.
Scope of Work
The Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences is in charge of all academic aspects related to the College and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean assumes a leadership role in the College and administers, directs, and coordinates all training, teaching, and research activities in which the College engages. The Dean also provides guidance for implementing the College Strategic Plan and ensures that the College activities coincide with the mission and objectives of the University within the socio-cultural framework of the United Arab Emirates and the Arab Gulf region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education and training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College and its departments and oversee the implementation of these objectives.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposiums outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing and implementing the College Annual Budget and conduct analyses of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Create a network of experts and visiting professors to support the educational and research activities of the College and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess knowledge of human resources and management concepts as well as higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
- Propose research projects relevant to the region and its development.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in communicating and networking with relevant institutions with the aim of promoting education and research.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
The ideal candidate shall demonstrate work experience in professional and academic positions as well a rich record in teaching and outstanding academic efforts at the international level. The candidate will demonstrate his/her effective and ongoing contributions in the fields of his/her specialization in terms of published research in recognized international scientific journals and participation in exhibitions, conferences and symposiums in addition to possessing the following degrees, qualifications, and professional experience:
- A PhD from a recognized university.
- The rank of professor in one of the College’s specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research appropriate to the rank of professor in one of the College’s specializations.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in English and Arabic conversation and writing.
- Leadership qualities and proven research background in one of the College’s specializations.
- A clear vision for developing higher education in general and for the College in particular.
- Full familiarity with the credit hour and academic year (semester) system.
- Distinguished managerial experience in the affairs of higher education, preferably at the level of a college dean in a reputable university.
- Experience with the standards of program accreditation by specialized commissions at national education institutions.
- Acumen in the area of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with large sectors of a diverse community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, professional and academic institutions, associations, unions, companies and business administration institutions, and other institutions within the field of education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Managerial experience and the skills necessary to launch pioneering projects.
- Multi-cultural skills.
- Active participation in reputable organizations.
- Knowledge of the methods of evaluation and related matters.
- Documentation demonstrating support for the achievements of teachers and students.
- Understanding of the latest teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Demonstration of an interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on the position, salaries, and benefits, please visit our website at : http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the below address. Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates
Review of applications will begin on mid November 2015 and continue until the position is filled with a preference for the selected candidate to begin work in August 2016. Candidates are urged to send their application by email as an attached document. Those who are shortlisted will be requested to send sealed envelopes containing their official university transcripts.