Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community consists of diverse and committed faculty members that teach and conduct research which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including Arabic Language, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, English Literature & Linguistics, History, International Affairs, Policy, Planning and Development, Mass Communication, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Statistics, Mathematics, Sports Science. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Arabic Language and Literature, Gulf Studies, Applied Statistics, Environmental Sciences and Materials Science and Technology . In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, there are two established research centers, namely the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center. The College started a PhD in Gulf Studies in Fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million dollars/project (5 million for exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University, one of very few departments accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA, offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast Journalism.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Professor/Associate Professor in Strategic Communication (public relations/ advertising).
The Department expects the successful applicant to be able to:
- teach PR and advertising classes in both Arabic and English
- build curriculum and direction/vision for PR (Strategic communication) in the Arab world
- supervise strategic communication graduation projects
- guide students toward successful internships and jobs in PR/advertising industries
- conduct scholarly research
- participate in department/college/university committees
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teach courses in the area of specialization
2. Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels
3. Contribute to the research profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
4. Serve as student advisor
5. Help with curriculum/program development.
6. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
A PhD from a reputable international university is required with relevant professional experience. Candidates for this position should have a proven record of previous high-quality teaching experience as well as professional experience and/or scholarly/creative activities in the area of emphasis. Candidates are expected to be effective teacher-scholars, to teach in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and to be involved in outreach efforts to the community.
The department seeks a candidate whose teaching style supports a diverse student body. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability to participate in the department’s interdisciplinary teaching, research, and creative activities in addition to their specific areas of specialization.
Besides teaching the general communication courses, the successful candidate is expected to teach all or some of the following courses: Principles of PR, Principles of Advertising, Strategic Communication, Public Relations Writing, Advertising Copy Writing and /or Advertising Layout and Design among others.
The successful candidate is expected to have professional experience in planning, implementing and managing PR and/or advertising campaigns. Preferably someone with consultancy record in PR and Advertising companies.
1.PhD. in the relevant area of emphasis
2.Strong peer reviewed
3.Teaching experience at
4.Familiarity with educational technology
5.Willingness to work with teams
6.Ability to work with people
from diverse backgrounds
7.Excellent written and oral
communication skills (Arabic and English).
Online application form supported with
1.Current Curriculum Vitae.
3.Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4.Three referees’ contact
information (physical address, email address and telephone number).
5.Copy of highest earned credential
(transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution
where course work was completed). However, if no coursework was
completed, a copy of a certified letter from the registrar of
your highest credential granting institution regarding your
highest academic degree).
6.Any additional documentation that you
feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
1. Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
2. New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Academic
Site Name Start Date: Immediately End Date:30-9-2019