The department is seeking a tenure-track professor with a Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or related field. The candidate will have interest and expertise in the fields or industries of editing and publishing, including print and digital media. Secondary expertise in one or more the following would be desirable: digital rhetoric; genres of professional and technical writing; social media management; and/or writing for the web. This faculty line would bolster the Journalism and Professional Writing (JPW) concentration, including the JPW e-portfolio assessment initiative. The Journalism and Professional Writing concentration, housed in UMass Lowell’s English department, is a vibrant program that focuses on educating and preparing students for professional writing careers.
The new hire would in a collegial and ambitious department and university where research productive faculty teach a 2/2 course load. Responsibilities involve maintaining an active program of scholarship, teaching undergraduate courses, and engaging in departmental and university service.
UML is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal.
The Department of English is housed within the University’s College of Fine Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (FAHSS). The College is the largest unit of the University, with 11 academic departments and over 180 full-time faculty. FAHSS has experienced significant growth in recent years, including hiring more than 75 new faculty members, achieving 70 percent growth in funded research expenditures, and the addition of several new interdisciplinary graduate programs.
The English Department currently has 24 tenured and tenure track faculty members, 7 teaching professors, and several visiting professors. The department has four on-campus concentrations, Creative Writing, Journalism and professional Writing, Literature, and Theater Arts, as well as a fully online degree in English studies. For more information, please visit our homepage: www.uml.edu/FAHSS/English
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
• Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or related degree (must have in hand by the time of appointment)
• Evidence of expertise in teaching professional writing and assessment
• Evidence of experience with or deep knowledge of the publishing industry
• Evidence of a strong publishing agenda, with a record of publication preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
• Review of applications will begin November 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
• Please include a CV, cover letter delineating research and scholarship agenda, and teaching philosophy. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
• To apply, please visit: https://explorejobs.uml.edu/lowell/en-us/job/503155/assistantassociate-professor-english