Liberal Arts Faculty (to teach multiple courses with a focus on Philosophy)
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty Station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic and/or Khorog, Tajikistan
Commencement Date: August 2019
Deadline: February 28th 2019 (open until filled)
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Liberal Arts Faculty Member with a background in Philosophy and to teach undergraduate students course/s that are part of the Liberal Arts curriculum at the Naryn Campus in Kyrgyz Republic and Khorog Campus in Tajikistan. The introductory Philosophy course involves reflection upon big themes such as truth, mind, freedom, identity, God, justice, reason, knowledge and is often given the name philosophy. Courses that will be/might be assigned for teaching, (in addition to Philosophy), are History, Political Science, Sociology or other disciplines that fall under Humanities and Social Sciences.
Academic programmes combine the student-centered environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure that they master and apply the material.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Lecturer Position: Master’s in Philosophy or related discipline
- Assistant Professor and Above: PhD in Philosophy or related discipline
- Fluency in English is required, knowledge of Russian is an asset
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential;
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset;
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students;
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies.
- A proven ability to publish research in high quality journals;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences;
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
Timing and Location
- In the 2019-20 academic year, you will teach classes on both campuses, and regional travel, therefore, is to be expected.
Salary and Package
- Commensurate with qualification and experience to attract the best candidate.
The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
To apply please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com by February 28th 2019. Please use: "Liberal Arts Faculty Member" as the subject header and indicate how you heard about us. The position is open until filled.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies