The UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI) was founded in 2006, following a strategic partnership between the University of Michigan (UM) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). Both partner universities are committed to developing JI into a world-class institute for engineering education. The Chinese government recognizes JI as an exemplar of Sino-American collaboration in higher education. In 2014, JI also received the prestigious Andrew Heiskell Award for “Innovation in International Education” from the Institute of International Education (IIE). JI currently offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE), and Materials Science & Engineering (MSE), all in keeping with UM curriculum objectives. All course instruction is in English.
The Liberal Arts Division at the JI offers a variety of courses in humanities and social sciences, providing foundational knowledge in human history, society, and culture. Our educational goals are to expose students to global issues and help them develop skills to meet the challenges of cross-cultural engagement. We are looking for a scholar-teacher in philosophy or related discipline, who can teach the required course in professional ethics as well as elective courses in his/her field of expertise. Our professional ethics course introduces students to engineering and technology ethics, with a cross-cultural and international focus. Its ultimate goals are to increase students’ ethical awareness and their understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities in global contexts and to identify and navigate ethical issues involving technology.
JI operates on a three-semester schedule. The successful candidate is expected to teach 6 courses a year, 3-4 credits for each course.
- Teach Professional Ethics and elective courses in his/her field of expertise
- Prepare for classes, design homework and supervise examination
- Maintain office hours (2 hours per course per week) to meet with students
- Provide guidelines to student teaching assistants on grading and other tasks
- Upload course material and relevant information to course website
- Participate in curriculum development and planning and other common non-teaching services
- Ph.D. in Philosophy or related discipline
- University teaching experience is highly expected
- Experience in working with speakers of English as an additional language is a plus
- Experience in teaching engineering students preferred
- Competitive starting salary, based on education and experience
- Health insurance
- A supplemental housing subsidy
- Moving allowance
- Chinese Language courses and other activities and facilities available to faculty of the university
To apply for this position, please send items 1 through 6 in a single PDF document to Human Resources at email@example.com
- Cover letter (please mention where you learned of this position)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy, either woven into the Cover Letter or presented as a separate document
- Diploma of Ph.D. degree
- Previous teaching evaluations (by students) if available
- Three confidential letters of reference or contact information for three references