The Program Coordinator reports directly to the Chairperson of the History Department and provides lead secretarial support for the Chairperson and faculty within the department. This position will also provide administrative support to the History graduate program, under the supervision of the Graduate Director. Other duties include overseeing the overall daily operating functions of the History department, supervising student employees, providing administrative support for faculty searches, and performing additional duties as assigned.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
Graduate admissions process:
- Monitor and process graduate applications for graduate and certificate programs. Manage processing of double degree and certificate applications.
- Coordinate faculty assignments for the History departments table at the Graduate Open House.
- Send out Graduate History Program information to high schools and colleges.
- Coordinate events with the Graduate Alumni Advisory Board for networking and recruitment opportunities.
- Prepare graduate course catalog each semester; send out registration materials every semester; register graduate students.
- Assign advisors to incoming graduate students through Banner.
Student resources and documents:
- Prepare staffing reports for graduate assistants and tuition scholars.
- Perform duties associated with graduate students who are proctors for exams.
- Compile the list of qualified history writing tutors and oversee the scheduling of appointments for undergraduate students seeking writing tutoring sessions with graduate students.
- Update Graduate History Program handbook; revise University Course Catalog.
- Work in cooperation with the graduate students running the graduate student blog and graduate twitter feed to ensure consistency across social media platforms; update Graduate History Program website regularly.
- Under the supervision of Graduate Director, develop committees and coordinate the administration of the graduate comprehensive exam.
- Run Discoverer reports for qualifying students for the Medallion for Academic Excellence.
- Certify graduate students for graduation.
- Perform duties in liaising with UNIT, the Registrars Office, and other departments within the University that interact with the graduate program.
- Create departmental forms; reserve rooms for meetings or social functions; maintain copier and fax machine; order department supplies; assist faculty when requested; assign advisers to undergraduate History majors when needed; assist with book orders or desk copies when needed.
Serve as IT contact for department: troubleshoot problems by (coordinating with CLAS IT) before contacting UNIT if needed.
Maintain active contact with alumni of both the undergraduate and graduate program. Develop and maintain a database of alumni willing to serve as mentors or networking facilitators to current students; develop, generate, and disseminate annual alumni newsletter; invite alumni to major events hosted by the department. Track alumni career trajectories and facilitate professional contact between alumni and alumni and current students.
- Provides administrative support for faculty searches.
- Interview, hire and supervise student workers; supervise other full-time and part-time administrative staff.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 3-5 years experience in similar role.
- Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Publisher, Outlook, Word)
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
Special Message to Applicants
- College degree strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of an academic setting preferred; knowledge of Banner/SCT system strongly preferred.
- Some experience in customer service preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access); excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational skills; ability to balance multiple tasks; professional demeanor in interaction with faculty, staff, students, and other university departments.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/14888
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.