- Full time, continuing
- Join a collegial and supportive School
- Academic Level B, Salary $110,856 - $131,639 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse ranges of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 arts faculties in the world. The School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offers the widest range of undergraduate and postgraduate language studies in Australia and is a centre for European, Latin American, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
The Department of French and Francophone Studies within the School of Languages and Cultures at the University of Sydney is the largest French department in Australia and has been teaching French since 1853. We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic group of scholars committed to theoretical innovation and intellectual excellence in French and Francophone Studies. We are seeking to appoint a scholar who will complement and enhance the department’s reputation in teaching and in research.
The Department is seeking to appoint a Lecturer at level B, with expertise preferably in the field of French and Francophone Cultural Studies (cultural, historical or literary studies) or socio-linguistics but other areas relevant to French and Francophone Studies will be considered.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- maintain a research profile compatible with the Department’s research programmes through publication and research grant application
- coordinate and teach language units in the French and Francophone major including at all levels from Beginner to Advanced
- coordinate and teach culture units at all levels and adapt to Departmental needs with regard to curriculum development
- participate in teaching collaboration including team-teaching of undergraduate cultural units in the Department and School
- supervise honours and postgraduate research students in French and Francophone Studies
- work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and assume roles in administration and planning in the Department and School
- coordinate and help promote French and Francophone Studies within the university and to the community.
We are seeking a Lecturer who has:
- a PhD in French or Francophone Studies
- native or near native competency in French and English
- a strong record of peer-reviewed publications relative to opportunity
- demonstrated experience and commitment to innovative teaching and course development in French and Francophone Studies, including language and culture courses
- experience in designing and teaching French-language modules at different levels with demonstrated success in promoting student retention and achieving high levels of language competency
- demonstrated ability, relative to opportunity, to develop and maintain an active research program including research grant applications
- evidence of capacity to work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and to assume roles in administration and planning in the Department and School.
- excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
Desirable for appointment is your:
- experience of interdisciplinary teaching and research
- experience in developing and implementing innovative teaching including but not limited to digital teaching methodologies.
- experience in research-led teaching
- ability to undertake collaborative research
- record of successful honours and research student supervision relative to opportunity
- demonstrated administrative skills
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
Closing date for applications
11.59pm, Sunday, 24 April 2022
How to apply
Please click here to apply https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Camperdown-Campus/Lecturer-in-French-and-Francophone-Studies_0091253-1
© The University of Sydney