Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community consists of diverse and committed faculty members that teach and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses twelve departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Material Science, Sports Science, and Human Nutrition. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science and Arabic Language. In fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. In addition, there are three newly established research centers, namely the Center for Social Science and Humanities, the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center. The College started the PhD in Gulf Studies, a Master in Applied Statistics, and a Master in Public Health in fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure internal and external funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million dollars/project (5 million for exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University, one of very few departments in the world internationally accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA, offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast Journalism.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Assistant / Associate / Full Professor in Print/Online Journalism.
The department of Mass Communication is seeking dynamic individuals who can provide expertise and leadership in the areas of sports journalism, media writing, news reporting, writing and editing, newspaper design and editing, investigative journalism, online journalism, communication and media research methods, photojournalism, web design and publishing, and visual communication. We seek candidates with innovative ideas who will be able to teach and help foster a potentially thriving broadcast journalism program. Candidates must be qualified and experienced in teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels in Arabic.
The successful candidate is expected to have professional experience in the journalism field and should be familiar with the newsroom and news production process. The successful candidate should also be able to teach in Arabic. English proficiency is highly desirable. The position also requires the successful applicant to be and course development, serve on department, college, and university-wide committees, conduct scholarly activities including research and/or creative endeavors, and be involved in department, faculty and student activities.
A Ph.D. is required with relevant professional experience. An MA holder with considerable professional experience in Print or Online Journalism may be considered for a lecturer position. Candidates for this position should have a record of previous high-quality teaching experience as well as professional experience and/or scholarly/creative activities in the area of emphasis. Candidates are expected to be effective teacher-scholars, to teach in both the undergraduate and graduate programs, and to be involved in outreach efforts to the community.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability to participate in the department’s interdisciplinary teaching, research, and creative activities in addition to their specific areas of specialization.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teach courses in area of specialization
2. Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels
3. Contribute to the research profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
4. Serve as student advisor
5. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
1. Ph. D. in the relevant area of emphasis
2. Strong peer reviewed publication record
3. Teaching experience at tertiary level
4. Familiarity with educational technology
5. Willingness to work with teams
6. Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills (Arabic and English).
Online application form supported with
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical address, email address and telephone number).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract
2. Salary is commensurate with experience
3. Tax-free salary
4. Accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies
9. End-of-contract indemnity
How To Apply
1. Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
2. New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete, you may use it to apply for an open Position.