Lecturer in Chinese
Humanities & Arts Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This position is created to respond to the increasing enrollment in lower-level language courses, and students' demand for more advanced language courses. Job responsibilities of this position are to teach 5-6 courses a year depending on actual enrollment and to provide tutoring, coordinate and implement extracurricular activities and cultural events that support the teaching mission of the Chinese language program.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
The job responsibilities include:
- Teach 5-6 courses over four 7-week terms, primarily in elementary and intermediate level
- Provide and supplement extended hours of operations for language tutoring; averagely 6 hours a week
- Coordinate language- and cultural-related extracurricular activities and events to enrich the offerings of the Chinese Program; 1-2 events per term
- Minimum of a Master's degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, second language acquisition, or a related field
- Experience with proficiency-oriented curriculum and instruction that aligns with the standards of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Minimum three years of experience in teaching college-level students in the U.S. or the European countries
- Native language abilities in Mandarin Chinese
- Fluent in spoken and written communication in English
- College teaching and researching environment, no special working conditions
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Lecturer-in-Chinese_R0001985
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.