The Department of Languages and Cultures at Marian University-Indianapolis seeks qualified applicants for the position of Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish. This full-time position teaching Spanish is for the academic year 2019-2020 and will begin August 2019. We seek a generalist with experience teaching all levels of language and culture and who employs innovative, interdisciplinary approaches to teaching. ABD required; PhD preferred. Teaching load is 24 credit hours per year.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching load: 24 credits per academic year.
- Contribute to a wide array of teaching outlets, including the general education curriculum, undergraduate major curriculum, and other programs.
- Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Participate in the life of the campus and university service.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- ABD or Ph.D. in Spanish
- Native or near-native ability in Spanish and English
- Evidence of capacity for effective teaching in higher education.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and in the community.
- Experience with online education is strongly desired.
Located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University is one of the nation’s preeminent Catholic institutions of higher learning, and ranks as one of US News & World Report’s top universities in the Midwest Region. Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university’s culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 15 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state’s first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University’s football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015. In 2016 and 2017, the women’s basketball team won back-to-back NAIA national championships. Marian University is also home to the most successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which currently holds 42 national titles.
Marian University offers an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance and full Marian University undergraduate tuition benefits for employees and their family. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, most recent transcript, three letters of recommendation, one of which specifically addresses the candidate’s teaching experience and evidence of teaching effectiveness (sample syllabi and recent student evaluations). All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marian University is an EOE