Recruiting for Excellence
The University of the South Pacific is one of the only two regional universities in the world. We are the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. The University recognises the importance of research activity to our academic staff and therefore provides incentives to encourage research and publications output.
The School of Education at the University of the South Pacific is the largest and premier provider of teacher education in the Pacific region. It prepares early childhood, primary, secondary and tertiary teachers, and also provides ongoing professional development programmes for in-service teachers and educational leaders.
The School is entering a new and exciting phase of development and is seeking experienced and dynamic individuals to join the School and lead the University’s initiative in the following key areas: Teacher Education, ICT Education, E-Learning and Distance & Flexible Learning in the University and across the Pacific Region.
The appointee will be required to teach to English Language and Literacy and be involved in other curriculum studies and teacher education courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She/he is expected to conduct research and contribute to research work at the faculty, engage in consultancy work, develop and present online courses using the online platform. The successful applicant will contribute to English language and literacy education courses within the Primary/Secondary teacher education programmes. She/he will also work with a team developing new programmes in this area.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD qualification in English (Language & Literacy)
- Qualified teacher status;
- A proven record of successful teaching and course development at school and tertiary levels;
- Relevant teaching experience in a second language context where English is the medium of instruction;
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one of the following areas: English for teachers of English, language awareness for teachers, bilingual education, ESL in the mainstream genre and process approaches to writing, literature in the ESL classroom as well as reading theories and processes.
- For appointment at the Senior Lecturer level you must have a strong record of published research in top-tier journals and books with either a formal tertiary teaching qualification or significant tertiary teaching experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Experience in developing course materials for distance & flexible learning; teaching experience in developing countries including the Pacific Island countries;
- Research interest/professional background in language issues in Teacher Education.
The position is available for a term of 5 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Lecturer FJ $73,689 to FJ $96,958 per annum
Senior Lecturer FJ $99,971 to FJ $115,351 per annum
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Enquiries: Professor Govinda Lingam, tel.: (679) 32 32311; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 16 September 2018
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.